Sukhothai translated from Sanskrit means the Rising of Happiness. The Kingdom of Sukhothai existed from 1238 until 1438. It especially flourished during the golden age of Thai civilization – from mid-13th to late-14th. Century. the Religious art and architecture of this era are widely considered to be the most classic of Thai styles. There is 45 sq.km of ruins and the old city is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Sukhothai was a trade centre and was a part of Lavo under the domination of the Khmer Empire. Traditionally, local historians considered the Sukhothai kingdom to be the beginning of their nation. However, modern historical studies show Thai history began before Sukhothai which was once known as Sukhodaya. It became part of the Khmer empire as early as 1180 during the reign of Pho Khun – the ruler of Sukhothai.
In 1349, the armies from Ayutthaya Kingdom invaded and made it a tributary where it was gradually merged with Ayutthaya.