Ayutthaya was founded in 1350 and was the second capital city of Siam (Thailand). A central trading capital of Asia in its heydays, in 1700 it was touted to be the largest city in the world with 1 million people. Merchants from distant lands such as the Middle-East, India, China, Japan, Portugal, France and the Netherlands were trading with Ayutthaya and claimed it as the finest city they had ever seen.
The Burmese sacked the city in 1767 and almost completely destroyed the city by razing most of the buildings to the ground. Most of the remains today are remnants of temples and palaces. The old city became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1991. Located 85 km from Bangkok, it sits at the confluence of the Chao Phraya, Lopburi and Pa Sak rivers.